Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Durango Weekend Stay: The Rochester, Built in 1892




Durango Weekend Stay: The Rochester, Built in 1892


 



She sits as she has for over a century. Rock solid, built by craftsman,
host to dignitaries, politicians and, if the wall photos are correct, a
whole host of Hollywood stars! The old line stars, ones that cared about
the public and loved the USA, not this new breed of chin drivel that
seems to scream "look at me, look at me!" Anyway on to the story; we
were down for the parent visit weekend at Fort Lewis College. My
daughter attends the school as well as my son's girl friend, so we
decided to take a trip down and have a visit. The weather was great
allowing us to take the

Colorado Million Dollar Highway
down to Durango. What a drive and
the color, but that is another blog! Back to the story after an
uneventful drive we pull up to the Rochester Hotel. My wife knows I like
to stay at the old places, they ooze history and I like to sit and think
about what people long since passed on must have thought during their
stay at the Rochester? I mean did they think, "wow this is the best of
times!" Did they have the same ideas and dreams we all have today? Did
they enjoy a meal at one of the local restaurants with the same
attention to what was being prepared and how? I would love to hear the
walls speak! Oh sorry off subject again, so I wheel the jeep into the
parking spot in front of our getaway temporary housing and she is what I
thought she would be!








Stately and solid, one he11 of a gal this Rochester Hotel! Built in 1892
she has transformed and changed but always housed travelers. And as a
bonus she has an older art deco sign. I have traveled as far as South
Beach Miami to look at the wonders of the art deco era! And this is a
little gem right in our southwestern corner!













And set up for comfort, she sports a beautiful relaxing courtyard. Next
visit I am bringing the portable cooking gear and we will have our own
little restaurant for a couple hours of dinner!








An Antique clock on the street side of the courtyard!








If you want to get around town the owners have taken the time to restore
a couple dozen cruisers you are welcome to borrow for the trip! Although
town is one block to the north, some people travel further than the
saloon at the Strattor. I personally don't see the sense in that, I mean
the one block to the saloon and the steakhouse across the street, life
is good! But to each their own, you wanna bike to a different area of
town have at it, I am the one in the saloon window watching you peddle
your butt off with the martini listening to the old guy play the he11
out of that upright piano!








Coming back to the room after a visit to the Strattor's Diamond Belle
Saloon, having imbibed in a few bombay sunlight martinis, one is treated
to the real magic of the Art Deco Sign!








The stay was great, the visit was great, we ate at Sue and Dave's a nice
steakhouse on main street! Fillet mignon for most, I did damage to two
boneless pork chops. Food was excellent, wine was great, company was
extraordinary! We had a great time. Early the next morning I am awaken
to the sound of the old steamer getting ready for the 8 Am run to
Silverton. As most of you know I am trying to put together a fund raiser
on this train. But I need a $25K underwriter to pull it off
successfully. I continue to plan, plot and scheme! And so I leave you
with the image that haunts my brain constantly trying to figure out how
to put it together and pull it off!








til we speak again, stay someplace unusual next time you travel, I could
have saved 30 dollars by staying at a Motel 6 but it just does not have
the history!



Chef Bob Ballantyne

The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

Grand Junction, Colorado

No comments:

Post a Comment