Saturday, March 10, 2007

Colorado Lamb For Dinner, Fabricate and Eat!


Colorado Lamb For Dinner, Fabricate and Eat!




Since my daughter is back from visiting her grandmother in New Hampshire
and I took my wife and son to the airport for their week visiting New
Hampshire this morning. We needed to make something for dinner. I think
it was berndy that indicated lamb should be on the menu in one of his
posts!



So I got out and slacked what was labeled as a lamb rib rack. However,
sometimes my butcher plays a game on me. Or just screws up in this case.



As I got the wonderful farm raised lamb out of its dress whites I knew
something was wrong. Not with the meat, but the labeling was, shall we
say, a little further forward than the actual cut occupying the package.







This was suppose to be my rib rack. However no bones to French on this
cut. Looked at it and discover the butcher labeled a half saddle (short
loin) as a rib rack. Not to worry, Colorado lamb is still Colorado lamb
we just have a little more work to do with this piece. It was actually
going to work out fine for the daughter and I as I normally get the
saddles whole and fabricate them into a boneless double loin roast. This
would give me a chance to try and fabricate the single.







So I boned it out and ended up with the loin, and the smaller
tenderloin. I center and roll cut the loin and place the tenderloin in
the center.







Then the normal running chain stitch to get it ready for the

Char-grill
.







Of course the bones do not go to waste, set up the stock pot and since I
was doing the lamb Greek, seasoned up the stock to follow as well.







Then it was out to the

char-grill
for the sear on the outside, then to the heat smoke side
for a little oven time. The double cooker made by Charbroil is about the
best smaller charcoal cooker I have ever owned. The more I use this
thing the more I really appreciate having that firebox with the grates
as well as the large cooking, smoking chamber.



Anyway out of the charbroil the lamb comes, along with potatoes, peppers
and onions in a black iron skillet and it is ready!








Then to cut and serve







This lamb was pulled at 128 F and allowed to sit for 8 minutes prior to
cutting. I can get away with the sit time on the lamb here because I
surround it with potatoes. The heavy starch potato really holds heat
well and as such keeps the fabricated boneless half loin roast warm
while we get ready to eat.



And what does the college chick think of it?








I am thinking she liked it. We had the lamb with a Penfolds Cabernet
Sauvignon. Which kind of left our Greek theme a little ways, but that is
what we both wanted to drink.



Til we talk again, grab up some lamb at the market. Ask the butcher for
the loin roast or a rib rack, don't let them make loin or rib chops, to
little to handle correctly at home, get it as a roast and cut the chops
tableside, you will be a lot happier with the outcome, and you will find
out why the rest of us rave about lamb!



Slip the cork on some wine!



Chef Bob Ballantyne

The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment