Monday, December 12, 2005

Chicken Sausage Gumbo




 Chicken Sausage Gumbo


 



Went in Tuesday morning and started one of two stocks I will need for
the weekend. Had a bunch of chicken bones and various other chickens
pieces left from the Smoked Pineapple chicken served at a couple of
caterings last weekend. So into the stainless steel reduction pot they
went, finally decided that I am going to finish this into a Chicken
Sausage Gumbo for my 24 person plated at The Two Rivers Chateau and
Winery Friday. I was told this group is important and please do
something special. So I now have 15 pounds of Okra to add to the stock.
But I want more meat so I ordered in 18 pounds of chicken legs, got to
put them down in the rock salt this morning, then this evening rinse and
put them in the smoker for a couple hours. I really think the dark meat
on poultry is where the flavor is, they have bred these commercial birds
to the point all the white meat tastes the same. Tasteless describes the
white meat best. So short of ordering in heirloom birds the legs are
what is usable in my mind. Especially for dishes where you are looking
for depth in flavor!



Have to start to reduce my ham hide reduction stock this morning.



My personal bacon sides are now trig free and slacked off, so I am
taking them in to start the cure process on them. So with any luck by
Sunday all the parts of the pig we butchered will be in its "Dress
Whites" (butcher paper) and in our freezer.



I love this time of the year, I get to do so many "just do it and make
it great" recipe developments that I look forward to the mornings in the
kitchen.



Have a fantastic day and I will talk at you later!


Chef Bob Ballantyne

The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment