Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Limp Snowman



The Limp Snowman


 



So just a typical weekend of catering for Christmas Parties. Lots of
funny stuff going on, but the coolest thing is the story of the limp
snowman.



Mary Lou is a very creative chef. She is always trying to create neat
food things that match the decorations. Until Al came along she had no
real partner in crime. However with the creativity Big Dog Chef shows
with food and combining that with Mary Lou's zeal to create neat designs
and food decoration enhancements you get people in your kitchen building
snowmen out of cream cheese dips and such. All was going well with the
cream cheese snowmen. They look very nice with their apple peel scarves
and black olive buttons and some green things for eyes and a tiny carrot
nose. All built they are stuck through with a "STICK" and have a
mushroom hat added. Then put in the cooler to garnish off cheese plates
and fruit plates for the holiday parties all weekend.



So Friday they seem to be doing well, going out the door for the various
pick ups and the drop offs of appies and other party food supplies.



Saturday morning there is a problem, the snowmen have gone limp over
night? My first thought was like dog years many there is snowman years,
these things are leaning over and sloughing off to the left, right,
forward and backward. I did not think anything of it, but Mary Lou is
wanting to know how they can lean with a skewer as a spine. A few hours
later the answer would reveal itself as Mary Lou and Big Dog Chef
dissect a snowman to checkout the physiological problem. Al and Mary Lou
have found the answer. The STICK has turned into what looks like a tape
worm. (I am dutifully running my six top and steamer, as well as roasting
potatoes, glazing carrots and making rice) I hear commotion about the
"tape worm" I hear one of the two question what is in the cheese that it
is eating the stick away? As Zane (E.C.) walks over to inspect the
cheese that is eating away the sticks, I see Al holding one of the
STICKS and displaying it to Zane. I suddenly burst out laughing, I mean
Pee you pants laughing. As it occurs to me what has happened. I had a
bunch of Udon noodles sitting at my work station in a bowl from feeding
the crew curry beef on Udon. I recognize that Mary Lou has gone by my
station and, thinking they were the skewers I use for Shish Kebab must
have grabbed up a bunch to skewer the snowmen. Now I am about to really
pee my pants as no one can understand why I am laughing (They know I am
only a few neuron losses away from the rubber room anyway) so hard about
the snowmen. I finally spill it out that they have skewered the snowman
with pasta not a stick!



It was a great great moment in kitchen history or is it kitchen
hysterics?


Chef Bob Ballantyne

The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment