Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Wife and I alone at home




Wife and I alone at home!


 



There has been so much talk about prime rib with the holidays I had a
thought that it might be nice to do a little for the old la....... er
the wife!



So I stop down to the kitchen and my SO calls, kids our out shopping for
Christmas when are you coming home!!!! YYEEEESSSSS! oh what bring
something for dinner? Uh maybe I had a different thought than she
did.......



So into the walk-in and what is laying there a perfectly good abate
abandon prime rib. And some scallops made by the very capable Big Dog
Chef. So I thought well why not bribe her with a little prime rib! (I
mean for a Christmas present, wait that did not come out right either.)
I mean I thought my lovely wife puts up with me all the time so I should
bring home and cook a prime rib up for her.



So I decide on Two Tone Farms Cabernet Sauvignon for me and one of the
few remaining bottles of Boulder Creek for her!



This is what the plate looked like at 130 F







I have a second shot, but it is really to show off the cool Santa Claus
I purchased at auction for my wife. She collects these Santa Clauses, an
artist friend of mine made the piece and was worried it would not bring
enough money. So I bid it up to a respectable level and bought it.
(Money went to 4-H youth program so the cause was just for the amount
paid.)







Anyway short and sweet is as chefs please remember we have regular lives
as well. We have families, we have children, we have a sense of humor,
we also have to eat dinner and meet the expectations of our SO. I just
thought it would be nice for everyone to understand we do normal things,
just at weird hours sometimes.



I worked Octopus today. Tomorrow after it is done in the reefer I am
building a traditional Sicilian octopus salad. I cook for (and with) a
Sicilian couple and they turned me onto this a year ago. I also have to
make some deep fried artichoke hearts (also a Sicilian thing) to go with
it one the side. I love fried arties! They are just so damn good and
with this traditional octopus salad it is just magic. Anyway more on
octopus salad tomorrow after I finish it and take a few pics.


Chef Bob Ballantyne

The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA

 

No comments:

Post a Comment