Monday, December 19, 2005

New Kitchen




New Kitchen for 4 months, time for changes


 



Well we have been in the new kitchen for a few months now. And as the
holiday season party catering start to slow down I have been thinking
about all the modifications everyone has requested. But mostly I am
thinking about how to make my six eye oven range work station area a
little more efficient for pushing out food in a hurry. I only fired the
thing up a couple weeks ago. As it was the lowest priority until we got
busy with the Holiday Party season. The steamer is above me to the
right. The microwave is under the steamer on top my short prep freezer.
So right off that microwave has to move to a wall mount shelf to the
right of the steamer. It will be outside the hood set but that is OK for
the nuker. The Hobart sits to the right of the steamer as well. I hooked
it up and use it for mashers. Directly behind me I have a hand sink and
a single bay large (300 pounds of taters in it easy) prep sink with a
large drain board. I am thinking once the nuker is off my prep freezer I
can sit a cutting board and tiered spice rack on it for doing my prep.
And I have the sinks I need, and the steamer is cool although personally
I would like to move the steam and switch it with the salamander at the
other end. But the plumbing changes would be a nightmare so I will live
with the steamer and just have access to the salamander. But a big pain
in the butt is the proofer cabinet sitting directly to the left of me! I
get stuck making sauces and reductions a lot. And I want my steam kettle
sitting where the proofer is presently sitting. So I am trying to figure
out how to fit the proofer in beside the two door freezer. In what I
call reefer alley. A two door freezer reach in, a two door cooler reach
in, another two door freezer reach in and a hall space then two big a5s
pizza ovens. (Blodgett) So I think if I move the slicer cart and situate
the proofer next to the two door freezer I could drop in my steam
kettle. Plus I have to run the three phase power to it and a water line.
But for the ability to reheat sauces without having to constantly stir
the damn things I think it will be worth the time! Plus having the micro
off my prep freezer would allow me to set the six eye up all the way for
cranking out food! So I continue to plot.



Other things to do for the other chefs in the business:



Al and Mike want a stainless shelf across their work stations to set
Mise up on. Zane wants two more power drops over the old bakers table.
Lights in the storage shed. Everyone wants a separate circuit for the
store room lights. Presently hooked to the pool table lights so when the
bar goes dark so does the dry stores! Brian wanted mats for the dish
pit, which I did today. And I need a clothing rack for our chefs
uniforms and such as the business office is just not convenient to get
to for changing. So there you have it the first changes to help us all
work better after being in the place for a few months. I know this one
is a little boring but I think a blog is suppose to let you know what we
do and this is what we do a lot. How do we do it faster? How do we do it
easier?



That is all for now, go pour a couple glasses of red and relax til we
talk again


Chef Bob Ballantyne

The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment