Monday, November 7, 2005




The Dessert development



 




So I decided to work on the dessert this weekend. So far the Bread
pudding is excellent, however the deep surprise at the bottom did not
work like I wanted it too. Seems more like vanilla snot in the bottom
then a surprise. Plus my holding test showed I would have to build them
less than an hour before serving. Not an option in catering. What to do?



Well first I decided the with the Whiskey sauce and the bread pudding
playing along well together at the worst I could just serve that, but it
does not produce the "WOW" factor I am looking for, it is just bread
pudding with a great sauce on it. So for the weekend I worked up several
different bottom fillings. And ultimately came up with two that work
real well. An Orange Curd and a Lemon curd. The orange done with
Contreau and the lemon done with reduced Bacardi limon. That with a
layer of pralined nuts to keep the bread from entering the curd has
solved the problem. No snot like paste at the bottom even after 5 hours
of hold time. On to the last step I will have to make up 2 dozen and
give them out to see what people think. I am also going to try a dark
rum sauce for the top to go with the Limon curd bottom as the whiskey
plays a little weird with the rum.



Also have picked up some crème de coco as I think I could go Island with
this dessert as well.



With that solved I turn my development to quail. I am trying to come up
with a quail wrap thing that will turn heads at the Taste of the Grand
Valley to go along with this dessert.

Chef Bob Ballantyne

The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment