Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Elk Hunting



 Elk Hunting


 



Well seems I have not posted to the blog since the Elk Season swung into
full speed.



25 people at Elk Camp...... Six Elk are now human food, three deer are
now food. All in all a good season.



Cooked quite a few meals while I was at the camp, started with the
arrival dinner in which I prepared 40 Quail I acquired from Prairie
Harvest. Did them in a merlot reduction with walnuts, red onion and
cranberries. Salt pepper and the normal spices to roast gamey fowl with,
finished them with mushrooms. Did a rice pilaf for the starch and the
veggie was roasted bells.



Breakfast next morning was biscuits and gravy, made the sausage myself,
came out nice. Plenty of eggs as well.



Two nights later cooked steak fajitas. I was using a 50 inch cast iron
fry pan that belongs to the camp, what a nice piece of cookware!



We have an advantage at the Elk camp in cooking, I acquired and
installed a double oven Southbend with 6 eyes, a flat top and salamander
on it. Works out a lot better then the old camp chef stove we used to
use. Second year with it, man you can burn a lot of food fast with this
thing.



Last night I was on dinner again, so I made up a 14 pound elk roast,
marinated in a combination of all the left over red wines from the 11
days of hunting camp. Red onion, garlic, and salt and pepper. I larded
it as I was taught by Chef Elsner at Windsor. Then I finished it with
Chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. (Even though Chef Polcyn would have me
deep fry it;-)) I roasted it. Spiced up nice and it was all gone in one
hour. Starch was scallop potatoes with roasted green chilies and polish
sausage in that big 52 inch iron fry pan. Man I would like to have one
of these pans. Vegetable was all manner of green salads. Using the stuff
up as it was the last night.



All in all we rode the horses 67 miles in 6 days of hunting. Consumed a
lot of food and various gallons of adult beverages! Pretty damn
relaxing!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment